[openstack-dev] [horizon][keystone] Getting Auth Token from Horizon when using Federation

Dolph Mathews dolph.mathews at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 22:50:18 UTC 2016

On Mon, Apr 18, 2016 at 11:34 AM, Martin Millnert <martin at millnert.se>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> we're deploying Liberty (soon Mitaka) with heavy reliance on the SAML2
> Federation system by Keystone where we're a Service Provider (SP).
>
> The problem in this situation is getting a token for direct API
> access.(*)
>
> There are conceptually two methods to use the CLI:
>  1) Modify ones (each customer -- in our case O(100)) IdP to add support
> for a feature called ECP(**), and then use keystoneauth with SAML2
> plugin,
>  2) Go to (for example) "Access & Security / API Access / View
> Credentials" in Horizon, and check out a token from there.

With a default configuration, this token would only last a short period of
time, so this would be incredibly repetitive (and thus tedious).

So, I assume you mean some sort of long-lived API tokens? API tokens,
including keystone's UUID, PKI, PKIZ, and Fernet tokens are all bearer
tokens, so we force a short lifetime by default, because there are always
multiple parties capable of compromising the integrity of a token. OAuth
would be a counter example, where OAuth access tokens can (theoretically)
live forever.

> 2) isn't implemented. 1) is a complete blocker for many customers.
>
> Are there any principal and fundamental reasons why 2 is not doable?
> What I imagine needs to happen:
>   A) User is authenticated (see *) in Horizon,
>   B) User uses said authentication (token) to request another token from
> Keystone, which is displayed under the "API Access" tab on "Access &
> Security".

The (token) here could be an OAuth access token.