[openstack-dev] [trove] review dashboard, review priorities for Newton

Amrith Kumar amrith at tesora.com
Sat Apr 16 13:45:44 UTC 2016

At the Trove meeting last week, I agreed to send out a simple way in
which we can all view the patches that are in need of review.

In the past, as we got closer to release milestones, we have used the
starredby:<name> method. I first remember using this when Nikhil
proposed it in the Juno/Liberty timeframe, and it worked out well for us
towards the end of the Mitaka cycle as well. I'd earlier asked on the ML
for simple ways to tag and prioritize reviews [1] the sense that I have
is that while there may be better tools in the future, our best bet for
now is to use the same method we've been using so far.

Also, thanks to Flavio who brought my attention to
gerrit-dash-creator[2] and the Trove dashboard registered there, I have
built and been using a dashboard for some time and I have found that it
reflects some of the reviewing challenges that we've been facing as a
project.

To that end, I have proposed [3], a change that updates the existing
Trove dashboard and provides a mechanism for all members actively
working on Trove to prioritize reviews. The rationale for the change(s)
and my motivations are part of the commit message in [3].

To get the benefit of this dashboard, you will have to do the following.

1. login to review.openstack.org
2. on the right-hand top corner, click on your name and then click on
the "settings" link.
3. on the left-hand pane, click on Preferences
4. on the right-hand pane you should now see a section entitled "My
Menu" and a box that says "Name" and one next to it that says "URL".
5. in the name, enter Trove-Dashboard and in the URL, you will have to
enter the URL for the dashboard. Since this is a very long (about 2000
characters long) I've posted the text in a gist[4]. the URL will start
with ... "#/dashboard/?foreach=" and end with "%3D%2D2+NOT+is%
3Amergeable"
6. Once you enter the name and the URL, press the "+" to the left of the
name.

You will now notice that your top menu in review.openstack.org will have
at the very right hand end, a link called "Trove-Dashboard". If you
click on it, you will see the dashboard I've created.

Changes in this dashboard are shown in the following sections:

My Patches Requiring Attention

        These are patches that you submitted, and that either have been
        given negative reviews, have failed check or gate, or are
        currently not in a state where they can merge

Patches waiting longer than 14 days

        These are patches that have been waiting over 14 days for a
        review

Patches waiting longer than 7 days

        These are patches that have been waiting over 7 days for a
        review

Specs requiring review

        These are specs that are in need of review, and that have passed
        check, and have not been blocked (-2'ed)

Trove: Priority code reviews

        These are changes in trove or trove-integration in need of
        review, and that have passed check, are mergeable, and have not
        been blocked (-2'ed), and have been starred by me

Trove Client and Dashboard: Priority code reviews

        These are changes in python-troveclient or trove-dashboard in
        need of review, and that have passed check, are mergeable, and
        have not been blocked (-2'ed), , and have been starred by me

Changes needing Final Approval

        These are changes that have one +2, that have passed check, are
        mergeable and need an approval

Changes on branches other than master

        These are changes on branches other than master that are
        currently open

Needing attention

        These are patches that are in need of attention; either check or
        gate failures, and that are not currently mergeable. This
        however does not show patches that are marked as WF-1 or have
        been blocked (-2'ed).

Please post comments and feedback on this dashboard at [3]. If you wish
to change the dashboard or make your own, you can do that very easily.

$ git clone http://git.openstack.org/openstack/gerrit-dash-creator
[...]
$ cd gerrit-dash-creator/

[If you want to change my proposed dashboard, get it ...]
$ git review -d 306716
Creating a git remote called "gerrit" that maps to:

ssh://amrith@review.openstack.org:29418/openstack/gerrit-dash-creator.git
Downloading refs/changes/16/306716/1 from gerrit
Switched to branch "review/amrith/trove-dashboard"

$ emacs dashboards/trove.dash

$ ./gerrit-dash-creator dashboards/trove.dash
https://review.openstack.org/#/dashboard/?foreach=status%3Aopen++%
[... long URL deleted...]

You can either navigate directly to that URL, or you can take the
portion after the '#' and put it into your own menu.

If you have suggestions on how to improve the dashboard I've proposed,
please feel free to suggest those changes.

Thanks,

-amrith

[1] http://openstack.markmail.org/thread/s2uc4ezrkwb7spzr
[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/292451/