[openstack-dev] [keystone]Liberty->Mitaka upgrade: is it possible without downtime?

Matt Fischer matt at mattfischer.com
Thu Apr 14 14:26:41 UTC 2016

On Thu, Apr 14, 2016 at 7:45 AM, Grasza, Grzegorz <grzegorz.grasza at intel.com
> wrote:

> > From: Gyorgy Szombathelyi
> >
> > Unknown column 'user.name' in 'field list'
> >
> > in some operation when the DB is already upgraded to Mitaka, but some
> > keystone instances in a HA setup are still Liberty.
>
> Currently we don't support rolling upgrades in keystone. To do an upgrade,
> you need to upgrade all keystone service instances at once, instead of
> going one-by-one, which means you have to plan for downtime of the keystone
> API.

Doing them all at once is dangerous if there's an issue during the DB
migration or between the other services and the new code. Better to
shutdown all but one node, and stop mysql as well on the other nodes. Then
upgrade one, run tests, then do the others serially. That way if the first
node has issues, you can quarantine it, restore mysql on the other nodes,
and then destroy and rebuild the first node back on old code. We've had
enough issues with db migrations before (not keystone that I recall
however) that you'd be nuts to trust that it's just going to work.