[openstack-dev] [oslo] Removing Nova specifics from oslo.log

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Wed Apr 13 19:54:16 UTC 2016

Excerpts from Julien Danjou's message of 2016-04-11 15:38:44 +0200:
> Hi,
>
> There's a lot of assumption in oslo.log about Nova, such as talking
> about "instance" and "context" in a lot of the code by default. There's
> even a dependency on oslo.context. >.<
>
> That's being an issue for projects not being Nova, where we end up
> having configuration options talking about "instances" and with default
> values referring to that.
> I'm at least taking that as being a serious UX issue for telemetry
> projects.
>
> I'd love to sanitize that library a bit. So, is this an option, or would
> I be better off starting something new?

I refer you to this as-yet-unimplemented spec from kilo. :-)

http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/oslo-specs/specs/kilo/app-agnostic-logging-parameters.html

Ronald and I were going to spend some time this cycle working on it. We
would love to have your help.

Doug