[openstack-dev] [magnum][keystone][all] Using Keystone /v3/credentials to store TLS certificates

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Wed Apr 13 18:17:48 UTC 2016

Excerpts from Clayton O'Neill's message of 2016-04-13 07:37:16 -0700:
> On Wed, Apr 13, 2016 at 10:26 AM, rezroo <openstack at roodsari.us> wrote:
> > Hi Kevin,
> >
> > I understand that this is how it is now. My question is how bad would it be
> > to wrap the Barbican client library calls in another class and claim, for
> > all practical purposes, that Magnum has no direct dependency on Barbican?
> > What is the negative of doing that?
> >
> > Anyone who wants to use another mechanism should be able to do that with a
> > simple change to the Magnum conf file. Nothing more complicated. That's the
> > essence of my question.
>
> For us, the main reason we’d want to be able to deploy without
> Barbican is mostly to lower the initial barrier of entry.  We’re not
> running anything else that would require Barbican for a multi-node
> deployment, so for us to do a realistic evaluation of Magnum, we’d
> have to get two “new to us” services up and running in a development
> environment.  Since we’re not running Barbican or Magnum, that’s a big
> time commitment for something we don’t really know if we’d end up
> using.  From that perspective, something that’s less secure might be
> just fine in the short term.  For example, I’d be completely fine with
> storing certificates in the Magnum database as part of an evaluation,
> knowing I had to switch from that before going to production.

I'd say there's a perfectly reasonable option already for evaluation
purposes, and that is the existing file based backend. For multiple
nodes, I wonder how poorly an evaluation will go if one simply rsyncs
that directory every few minutes.