[openstack-dev] [ironic][nova][horizon] Serial console support for ironic instances

Yuiko Takada yuikotakada0313 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 08:47:15 UTC 2016

Hi,

I also want to discuss about it at summit session.

> Yes, I think it would be good to have a summit session on that. However,
> before the session, it would really be helpful if the folks with proposals
> got together and/or reviewed each other's proposals, and summarized their
> findings.

I've summarized all of related proposals.

(1)Add driver using Socat
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/293827/

* Pros:
- There is no influence to other components
- Don't need to change any other Ironic drivers(like IPMIShellinaboxConsole)
- Don't need to bump API microversion/RPC

* Cons:
- Don't output log file

(2)Add driver starting ironic-console-server
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/302291/
(There is no spec, yet)

* Pros:
- There is no influence to other components
- Output log file
- Don't need to change any other Ironic drivers(like IPMIShellinaboxConsole)
- No adding any Ironic services required, only add tools

* Cons:
- Need to bump API microversion/RPC

(3)Add a custom HTTP proxy to Nova
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/300582/

* Pros:
- Don't need any change to Ironic API

* Cons:
- Need Nova API changes(bump microversion)
- Need Horizon changes
- Don't output log file

(4)Add Ironic-ipmiproxy server
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/296869/

* Pros:
- There is no influence to other components
- Output log file
- IPMIShellinaboxConsole will be also available via Horizon

* Cons:
- Need IPMIShellinaboxConsole changes?
- Need to bump API microversion/RPC

If there is any mistake, please give me comment.

Best Regards,
Yuiko Takada