[openstack-dev] [OpenStack Foundation] [board][tc][all] One Platform – Containers/Bare Metal? (Re: Board of Directors Meeting)

Devdatta Kulkarni devdatta.kulkarni at RACKSPACE.COM
Wed Apr 13 02:28:52 UTC 2016

Hi,

Reading through the thread I thought of adding following points which	might be relevant to this discussion.

1) Related to the point of providing an abstraction for deploying apps to different form factors:
OpenStack Solum is a project which allows deploying of applications starting from
their source code. Currently we support following deployment options:
(a) deploying app containers in a setup where nova is configured to use nova-docker driver
(b) deploying app containers on a VM with one container	per VM configuration
(c) deploying app containers to a COE such as a Docker swarm cluster (currently	under development)

For (a) and (b) we use parameterized Heat templates. For (c), we currently assume that
a COE cluster is already created. Solum has a feature whereby app	developers can provide
different kinds of parameters with their	app deployment request.
This feature is used to provide cluster creds with the app deployment request.

The deployment option is controlled by the operator at the time
of Solum deployment. Solum's architecture is such that it is straightforward
to add new deployers. I haven't looked at Ironic so won't be able to comment how difficult/easy
it would be to add a Ironic deployer in Solum. As Joshua mentioned, it will be interesting
to consider different constraints (density, performance, isolation) when choosing the
form factor to deploy app containers. Of course, it will also depend on how other
OpenStack services are configured within that particular OpenStack setup.

2) Related to the point of high-level application description:
In Solum, we use a simple yaml format for describing an app to Solum. Example of an app file can be found here:
https://github.com/openstack/solum/blob/master/examples/apps/python_app.yaml

We have been planning to work on multi-container/microservice-based apps next, and have a spec for that:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/254729/10/specs/mitaka/micro-service-architecture.rst

Any comments/feedback on the spec is welcome.

Lastly, in case you want to try out Solum, here is a link to setting up a development environment:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Solum/solum-development-setup

and getting started guide:
http://docs.openstack.org/developer/solum/getting_started/

Regards,