[openstack-dev] [kolla][vote] Nit-picking documentation changes

Jeff Peeler jpeeler at redhat.com
Tue Apr 12 19:17:46 UTC 2016

On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 3:37 AM, Steven Dake (stdake) <stdake at cisco.com> wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> The reviewers in Kolla tend to nit-pick the quickstart guide to death during
> reviews.  I'd like to keep that high bar in place for the QSG, because it is
> our most important piece of documentation at present.  However, when new
> contributors see the nitpicking going on in reviews, I think they may get
> discouraged about writing documentation for other parts of Kolla.
>
> I'd prefer if the core reviewers held a lower bar for docs not related to
> the philosophy or quiickstart guide document.  We can always iterate on
> these new documents (like the operator guide) to improve them and raise the
> bar on their quality over time, as we have done with the quickstart guide.
> That way contributors don't feel nitpicked to death and avoid improving the
> documentation.
>
> If you are a core reveiwer and agree with this approach please +1, if not
> please –1.

I'm fine with relaxing the reviews on documentation. However, there's
a difference between having a missed comma versus the whole patch
being littered with misspellings. In general in the former scenario I
try to comment and leave the code review set at 0, hoping the
contributor fixes it. The danger is that a 0 vote people sometimes
miss, but it doesn't block progress.