[openstack-dev] [Openstack-security] [Security]abandoned OSSNs?

Dave Walker email at daviey.com
Mon Apr 11 15:53:42 UTC 2016

Hi,

I believe 50 and 51 were both assigned to me.  They were closely linked,
but seperate issues.

I wrote 50 up here:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/200303/2

After discussion in a security meeting, my memory is that it was agreed
that they probably weren't required.

I'd have to pull out the meeting log to be certain, but I'd also continue
them if the mood has now changed.

--
Kind Regards,
Dave Walker

On 11 Apr 2016 16:06, "Clark, Robert Graham" <robert.clark at hpe.com> wrote:

> Thanks Matt, Michael,
>

> To start with, lets look quickly at the more recent OSSNs that are marked
as work in progress, namely 63,64,65 and 66 – these should all be published
within a week or so.

> Looking further back we have the more difficult OSSNs 50 and 51, I’m not
100% sure what the blockers are on these.  I believe
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/OSSN/OSSN-0056 may supersede OSSN-0051 and
is rooted in bug https://bugs.launchpad.net/ossn/+bug/1435530 - it looks to
me like OSSN-0056 was written during a mid-cycle and could be the right one.

> I’m struggling to work out the story behind OSSN-0050 – I’m adding Nathan
Kinder who might be able to shed more light on this.

> -Rob

OSSNs?

> Matt:
>
> Thanks for asking this. I forwarded this email to the new email list so
that folks with better knowledge can answer this.

> Thanks and have a great day.
>

> Yours,
>
> Michael

> Michael Xin | Manager, Security Engineering - US
>
> Product Security  |Rackspace Hosting
>
> Office #: 501-7341   or  210-312-7341
>
> Mobile #: 210-284-8674
>
> 5000 Walzem Road, San Antonio, Tx 78218

> Experience fanatical support
>

> From: Matt Fischer <matt at mattfischer.com>
> Date: Monday, April 11, 2016 at 9:19 AM
> To: "openstack-security at lists.openstack.org" <
openstack-security at lists.openstack.org>
> Subject: [Openstack-security] abandoned OSSNs?
>

> Some folks from our security team here asked me to ensure them that our
services were patched for all the OSSNs that are listed here:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Security_Notes

> Most of these are straight-forward, but there are some OSSNs that have
been allocated an ID but then abandoned. There is no detailed wiki page and
my best google efforts lead me to a possible IRC mention and maybe an
abandoned review. The two specifically are OSSN-50/51.

> So what am I to do with an "abandoned" OSSN? Has it been decided that
there is no issue anymore? These are pretty old if I look at the dates
framing the other OSSNs (49/52), so I assume they aren't urgent. Can we
ignore these? They sound somewhat scary, for example, "keystonemiddleware
can allow access after token revocation" but I have no means to say whether
it affects us or how we can mitigate without more info.