[openstack-dev] [neutron] [API]Make API errors conform to the common error message without microversion

michael mccune msm at redhat.com
Mon Apr 11 15:11:29 UTC 2016

please forgive my lack of direct knowledge about the neutron process and
how this fits in. i'm just commenting from the perspective of someone
looking at this from the api-wg.

On 04/11/2016 09:52 AM, Duncan Thomas wrote:
> So by adding the handling of a header to change the behaviour of the
> API, you're basically implementing a subset of microversions, with a
> non-standard header (See the API WG spec on non-proliferation of
> headers). You'll find it takes much of the work that implementing
> microversions does, and explodes your API test matrix some more.
>
> Sounds like something that should go on hold until microversions is
> done, assuming that microversions are desired anyway. Standard error
> messages are not such a big win that they're worth non-standard headers
> and yet more API weirdness that needs to sit around potentially for a
> very long time (see the API WG rules on removing APIs, which is
> basically never)

i think this advice sounds reasonable. adding a side-channel around
microversions sounds like work that would itself need a microversion
bump when it is finally removed ;)

i also agree with the reasoning about the benefit from the standardized
error messages. it is nice to get a standard error message produced, but
i think adding microversions is probably a bigger win in the near term
because it will make these other transitions smoother.