[openstack-dev] [neutron] [nova] scheduling bandwidth resources / NIC_BW_KB resource class

Miguel Angel Ajo Pelayo majopela at redhat.com
Mon Apr 11 14:22:26 UTC 2016

On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 1:46 PM, Jay Pipes <jaypipes at gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> object as a facade over a non-existing piece of data.
>
> Eventually, the intent is to change the ComputeNode object to return a new
> AllocationList object that would contain all of the compute node's resources
> in a tabular format (mimicking the underlying allocations table):
>
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/282442/20/nova/objects/resource_provider.py
>
> Once this is done, the scheduler can be fitted to query this AllocationList
> object to make resource usage and placement decisions in the Python-side
> filters.
>
> We are still debating on the resource-providers-scheduler-db-filters
> blueprint:
>
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/300178/
>
> Whether to change the existing FilterScheduler or create a brand new
> scheduler driver. I could go either way, frankly. If we made a brand new
> scheduler driver, it would do a query against the compute_nodes table in the
> DB directly. The legacy FilterScheduler would manipulate the AllocationList
> object returned by the ComputeNode.allocations attribute. Either way we get
> to where we want to go: representing all quantitative resources in a
> standardized and consistent fashion.
>
>>      And, that brings me to another point: at the moment of filtering
>> hosts, nova  I guess, will have the neutron port information, it has to
>> somehow identify if the port is tied to a minimum bandwidth QoS policy.
>

> Yes, Nova's conductor gathers information about the requested networks
> *before* asking the scheduler where to place hosts:
>
> https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/stable/mitaka/nova/conductor/manager.py#L362
>
>>      That would require identifying that the port has a "qos_policy_id"
>> attached to it, and then, asking neutron for the specific QoS policy
>>   [3], then look out for a minimum bandwidth rule (still to be defined),
>> and extract the required bandwidth from it.
>

> Yep, exactly correct.
>
>>     That moves, again some of the responsibility to examine and
>> understand external resources to nova.
>

> Yep, it does. The alternative is more retries for placement decisions
> because accurate decisions cannot be made until the compute node is already
> selected and the claim happens on the compute node.
>
>>      Could it make sense to make that part pluggable via stevedore?, so
>> we would provide something that takes the "resource id" (for a port in
>> this case) and returns the requirements translated to resource classes
>> (NIC_BW_KB in this case).
>

> Not sure Stevedore makes sense in this context. Really, we want *less*
> extensibility and *more* consistency. So, I would envision rather a system
> where Nova would call to Neutron before scheduling when it has received a
> port or network ID in the boot request and ask Neutron whether the port or
> network has any resource constraints on it. Neutron would return a
> standardized response containing each resource class and the amount
> requested in a dictionary (or better yet, an os_vif.objects.* object,

Oh, true, that's a great idea, having some API that translates a
neutron resource, to scheduling constraints. The external call will be
still required, but the coupling issue is removed.

> In the case of the NIC_BW_KB resource class, Nova's scheduler would look for
> compute nodes that had a NIC with that amount of bandwidth still available.
> In the case of the IPV4_ADDRESS resource class, Nova's scheduler would use
> the generic-resource-pools interface to find a resource pool of IPV4_ADDRESS
> resources (i.e. a Neutron routed network or subnet allocation pool) that has
> available IP space for the request.

Not sure about the IPV4_ADDRESS part because I still didn't look on
how they resolve routed networks with this new framework, but for
other constraints makes perfect sense to me.