[openstack-dev] [ironic] [api] Fixing bugs in old microversions

Dmitry Tantsur dtantsur at redhat.com
Mon Apr 11 14:03:22 UTC 2016

On 04/11/2016 03:54 PM, Jay Pipes wrote:
> On 04/11/2016 09:48 AM, Dmitry Tantsur wrote:

>>> I think the approach you've taken -- just fix it and not add a new
>>> microversion -- is the correct approach.
>>
>> Do we really allow breaking API changes, covering old microversions?
>
> Generally we have said that if a patch is fixing only an error response
> code (as would be the case here -- changing from a 202 to a 400 when
> name is attempted to be changed) then it doesn't need a microversion.

I remember us avoiding even changing 403 to 400 (or something like
that). This is not just "changing return code". This is removing a
working (unfortunately) feature: removing node names with API versions
1.1-1.4. I'm not saying it's totally impossible, but I've heard Ironic
people (notably, Deva) saying "no API breaks ever", thus my concern.