[openstack-dev] [ironic] [api] Fixing bugs in old microversions

Dmitry Tantsur dtantsur at redhat.com
Mon Apr 11 13:51:20 UTC 2016

On 04/11/2016 10:48 AM, Vladyslav Drok wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> There is a bug <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ironic/+bug/1565663> in
> ironic API that allows to remove node name using any API version,
> while node names were added in version 1.5. There are concerns that
> fixing this might
> be a breaking change, and I'm not sure how to proceed with that. Here is
> a change <https://review.openstack.org/300983> that
> fixes the bug by just forbidding to do PATCH remove request on /name
> path if requested
> API version is less than 1.5. Is it enough to just mention this in a
> release note, maybe
> both in fixes and upgrade sections? As bumping API microversion to fix
> some previous
> microversion seems weird to me.

My point stays the same: this is a breaking change in API and should be
avoided, unless absolutely necessary.

This situation is a side effect of the microversioning procedure we
have, which, as you all know, I personally never liked :) and this case
was one of the reasons. The only way to avoid it is to have negatives
functional tests for all microversions. We're not even close to that
yet, unfortunately.