[openstack-dev] [all][stackalytics] Gaming the Stackalytics stats

Ihar Hrachyshka ihrachys at redhat.com
Mon Apr 11 10:48:44 UTC 2016

Clint Byrum <clint at fewbar.com> wrote:

> Excerpts from Morgan Fainberg's message of 2016-04-10 16:47:28 -0700:
>> On Sun, Apr 10, 2016 at 4:37 PM, Clint Byrum <clint at fewbar.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Excerpts from Matt Riedemann's message of 2016-04-09 06:42:54 -0700:
>>>
>>> Why is disagreement a negative thing? IMO, reviewers who agree too much
>>> are just part of the echo chamber.
>> There is no problem with disagreement IMHO. However, we track it as a
>> stat,
>> and people don't want to feel as though they are in disagreement with the
>> cores. I think this is just some level of psychology.
>>
>> I very, very rarely look at disagreement stat for anything (now or when I
>> was PTL).
>
> Agreed, as a number, it can be highly misleading and is especially hard
> to compare to any of the other numbers.
>
> However, in meta-reviews, I found actual occurrences very useful to
> analyze how a reviewer handles confronting the other cores and how
> confident they are in their understanding of the code base. So it worries
> me that new people might be somehow discouraged from disagreement.
>
> So let me just say it here, disagreeing with the core reviewers when
> there is a valid reason _is what somebody who wants to be a core reviewer
> should be doing_.

Amen to that! I find that people who have higher disagreement stats are
actually the people that add value to review process, since they obviously
look at patches from perspectives that are different from existing core
members.

Now, I agree that if the disagreements are solely for nits in commit
messages or random misunderstandings, then it’s not of value. But if those
are legit concerns, that’s usually a good sign, not a bad one.

Ihar