[openstack-dev] [all][stackalytics] Gaming the Stackalytics stats

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Mon Apr 11 09:10:09 UTC 2016

gordon chung wrote:
> On 08/04/2016 1:26 PM, Davanum Srinivas wrote:
>> Steve pointed out to a problem in Stackalytics:
>> https://twitter.com/stevebot/status/718185667709267969
>>
>> It's pretty clear what's happening if you look here:
>> https://review.openstack.org/#/q/owner:openstack-infra%2540lists.openstack.org+status:open
>>
>> Here's the drastic step (i'd like to avoid):
>> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/303545/
>>

> is it actually affecting anything in the community aside from the
> reviews being useless. aside from the 'diversity' tags in governance,
> does anything else use stackalytics?

Although I feel like there has been less of that over the last few
releases, Stackalytics is where the press (and some companies) point to
to find out who the "#1 OpenStack company" is, or what a particular
company rank is in the contributions list.

On http://www.openstack.org/software/mitaka/ you can click "Contributor
stats" which points to: http://stackalytics.com/?release=mitaka -- and
by default this shows Reviews stats (which are the easiest to game).

Maybe it's time to revert back to "Commits" as the default stat shown on
Stackalytics ? At least for a while ?

The only protection against metrics being gamed is to change them often
enough... I'm also a big fan of original retrospective analysis, where
you look at past data and find interesting metrics (rather than
predefine a metric for future data and hope nobody will game it).

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)