[openstack-dev] [all][stackalytics] Gaming the Stackalytics stats

Tom Barron whuisit at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 23:46:05 UTC 2016

On 04/08/2016 05:16 PM, Anita Kuno wrote:
> On 04/08/2016 05:10 PM, gordon chung wrote:
>>

>> On 08/04/2016 1:26 PM, Davanum Srinivas wrote:
>>> Team,
>>>
>>> Steve pointed out to a problem in Stackalytics:
>>> https://twitter.com/stevebot/status/718185667709267969
>>>
>>> It's pretty clear what's happening if you look here:
>>> https://review.openstack.org/#/q/owner:openstack-infra%2540lists.openstack.org+status:open
>>>
>>> Here's the drastic step (i'd like to avoid):
>>> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/303545/
>>>

>> is it actually affecting anything in the community aside from the
>> reviews being useless. aside from the 'diversity' tags in governance,
>> does anything else use stackalytics?
>>
>> cheers,
>>
> Some company managers only look as far as stackalytics to calculate
> career decisions for their group.
>
> Sad but true.

Certainly true, and sad, but "some" is a quantifier that starts at
greater than zero and runs on up from there :-)

IMO we non-managers also have to take responsibility for a system that
uses quantitative measures that "gamify" OpenStack performance.  Humans
respond to this kind of reward system.  They aren't (for that reason at
least) evil and the effect is not all that surprising.  The harder
question is whether there is a better way to set things up, or more to
the point, since many of us are sure there is, exactly what it is.

-- Tom