[openstack-dev] [all][stackalytics] Gaming the Stackalytics stats

Anita Kuno anteaya at anteaya.info
Fri Apr 8 22:03:38 UTC 2016

On 04/08/2016 05:53 PM, gordon chung wrote:

> On 08/04/2016 5:23 PM, Davanum Srinivas wrote:
>> On Fri, Apr 8, 2016 at 5:10 PM, gordon chung <gord at live.ca> wrote:
>>>

>>> is it actually affecting anything in the community aside from the
>>> reviews being useless. aside from the 'diversity' tags in governance,
>>> does anything else use stackalytics?
>>
>> Gordon,
>>
>> I feel that we are missing an opportunity to teaching what we want new
>> folks to do! As a group we should all try to spot these patterns and
>> make sure everyone's efforts are fruitful.
>>
>> To that effect, i am capturing stuff here:
>> https://davanum.wordpress.com/2016/04/08/new-to-openstack-reviews-start-here/
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Dims
>>

> i imagine the fact they're gaming the stackalytics system means they're
> aware of what their doing and no one has called them out on it yet. i'm
> a glass half empty individual :)

Well Major reports that in at least 2 instances those contacted have
replied that they were new to OpenStack and didn't realize that their
behaviour was considered gaming. I'm not going to extrapolate to the
whole group based on that sample size but it appears there are at least
some folks who self-identify as being in the didn't know category.
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2016-April/091822.html

> this has been discussed in some form already in the past[1] and it'll
> probably keep happening. i get the feeling if you tell some to stop
> putting useless reviews in one place, they'll do it somewhere else or at
> random frequencies -- you may be endlessly chasing white noise. if it
> only affects lazy managers using stackalytics then it's probably not a
> big deal for now? i can't imagine the current useless reviews are
> swaying the overall stats of a project (aside from top global reviewers)
>
> i like anteaya/your posts, hopefully it helps.

Thank you Gord that is kind of you to say, I appreciate your feedback. I
hope it helps as well.

Thank you,
Anita.