[openstack-dev] [all][elections] Results of the TC Election

Tim Bell Tim.Bell at cern.ch
Fri Apr 8 19:01:36 UTC 2016

On 08/04/16 20:08, "gordon chung" <gord at live.ca> wrote:

>>>    Election | Electorate (delta %) | Votes | Turnout (delta %)
>>>    ===========================================================
>>>    Oct '13  | 1106                 | 342   | 30.92
>>>    Apr '14  | 1510    (+36.52)  | 448   | 29.69   (-4.05)
>>>    Oct '14  | 1893       (+25.35)  | 506   | 26.73   (-9.91)
>>>    Apr '15  | 2169       (+14.58)  | 548   | 25.27   (-5.48)
>>>    Oct '15  | 2759       (+27.20)  | 619   | 22.44   (-11.20)
>>>    Apr '16  | 3284       (+19.03)  | 652   | 19.85   (-11.51)

>> One way to look at it is that every cycle (mostly due to the habit of
>> giving summit passes to recent contributors) we have more and more
>> one-patch contributors (more than 600 in Mitaka), and those usually are
>> not really interested in voting... So the electorate number is a bit
>> inflated, resulting in an apparent drop in turnout.
>>
>> It would be interesting to run the same analysis but taking only >=3
>> patch contributors as "expected voters" and see if the turnout still
>> drops as much.
>>
>> Long term I'd like to remove the summit pass perk (or no longer link it
>> to "one commit"). It will likely result in a drop in contributors
>> numbers (gasp), but a saner electorate.
>>

>just for reference, while only affecting a subset of the electorate, if
>you look at the PTL elections, they all had over 40% turnout (even the
>older and larger projects).
>
>it may be because of those with "one commit", but if that were the case,
>you would think the turnout would be inline/similar to the PTL elections.

It could also be that the projects with the lower hanging fruit were uncontested.

BTW, I don’t feel that a 1 commit person should be ignored in the voting. Many of us
have roles which do not mean we spend all the time committing but when we see something
wrong in the docs, spend a few hours to go through the process. I certainly favor
those PTLs/TC members in my voting who still count the sum of this contribution to be significant.

As we progress further with the UC-Recognition activity, there will be further discussion
on this so I feel waiting for that work to make a proposal on how those people could also
contribute to setting the technical direction.

Tim