[openstack-dev] [TripleO][CI] Ability to reproduce failures

Derek Higgins derekh at redhat.com
Fri Apr 8 15:25:23 UTC 2016

On 7 April 2016 at 22:03, Gabriele Cerami <gcerami at redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to find an entry point to join the effort in TripleO CI.
Hi Gabriele, welcome aboard

> I studied the infrastructure and the scripts, but there's still something I'm missing.
> The last step of studying the complex landscape of TripleO CI and the first to start contributing
> is being able to reproduce failures in an accessible environment, to start debugging issues.
> I have not found an easy and stable way to do this. Jobs are certainly gathering
> a lot of logs, but that's not enough.
>
> At the moment, I started launching periodic jobs on my local test box using
> this script
> https://github.com/sshnaidm/various/blob/master/tripleo_repr.sh
>
> It's quite handy, but I'm not sure it's able to produce perfectly compatible
> environments with what's in CI.

Great, I haven't tried to run it but at quick glance this looks like
your doing most of main steps that are needed to mimic CI, I haven't
seen anything that is obviously missing what kind of differences are
you seeing in the results when compared to CI?

> Can anyone suggest a way to make jobs reproducible locally? I know it may be complicated
> to setup an environment through devtest, but may If we can start with just a list of steps,
> then it would be easier to put them into a script, hten make it availabe in the log in place
> of the current reproduce.sh that is not very useful.

So, I think the problem with reproduce.sh is that nobody in tripleo
has ever used it, and as a result toci_gate_test.sh and
toci_instack.sh just aren't compatible with it, I'd suggest we change
the the toci_* scripts so that they play nice together. I'll see if I
can give it a whirl over the next few days and see what problem we're
likely to hit.