[openstack-dev] [neutron] [API]Make API errors conform to the common error message without microversion

Xie, Xianshan xiexs at cn.fujitsu.com
Fri Apr 8 08:23:41 UTC 2016

Hi, all,

We are attempting to make the neutron API conform to the common error message format recommended by API-WG [1]. As this change will introduce a new error format into neutron which is different from existing  format [2], we should think of some solutions to preserve the backward compat.

The easiest way to do that is microversion, just like the cinder does [3] although which is still in progress. But unfortunately, there are many projects in which the microversion haven't been landed yet, e.g. neutron,  glance, keystone etc. Thus during the interim period we have to find other approaches to keep the backward compat.

According to the discussion, a new header would be a good idea to resolve this issue [4], we think.
For instance:
curl -X DELETE "http://xxx:9696/v2.0/networks/xxx" -H "Neutron-Common-Error-Format: True"

But we haven't decided which header name will be used yet.
So how do you think which is the best appropriate one?