[openstack-dev] [nova] Minimal secure identification of a new VM

Adam Young ayoung at redhat.com
Wed Apr 6 21:09:50 UTC 2016

> On Tue, Apr 05, 2016 at 06:00:55PM -0400, Adam Young wrote:
>> We have a use case where we want to register a newly spawned Virtual machine
>> with an identity provider.
>>
>> Heat also has a need to provide some form of Identity for a new VM.
>>

>> Looking at the set of utilities right now, there does not seem to be a
>> secure way to do this.  Injecting files does not provide a path that cannot
>> be seen by other VMs or machines in the system.
>>
>> For our use case, a short lived One-Time-Password is sufficient, but for
>> others, I think asymmetric key generation makes more sense.
>>
>> Is the following possible:
>>
>> 1.  In cloud-init, the VM generates a Keypair, then notifies the No0va
>> infrastructure (somehow) that it has done so.
> There's no currently secure channel for the guest to push information
> to Nova.
We need to secure the message queue from the compute node to conductor.
This is very achievable:

1.  Each compute node gets its own rabbit user
2.  Messages from compute node to Conductor are validated as to what
node sent them

We should enable TLS on the network as well, or password can be
sniffed.  Self signed is crappy, but probably sufficient for a baseline
deployment. Does not defend against MITM.  Puppet based deployments can
mitigate.
X509 client cert is a better auth mechanism than password, but not
essential.