[openstack-dev] [nova][glance] Proposal to remove `nova image-*` commands from novaclient

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Wed Apr 6 18:43:08 UTC 2016

On 4/6/2016 1:17 PM, Nikhil Komawar wrote:

> On 4/6/16 2:09 PM, Clint Byrum wrote:
>> Excerpts from Nikhil Komawar's message of 2016-04-06 10:46:28 -0700:
>>> Need a inline clarification.

>>> Is it a safe practice to not fix bugs on a publicly exposed API? What
>>> are the recommendations for such cases?
>>>
>> I don't think you can make a blanket statement that no bugs will be
>> fixed.
>>
>> There are going to be evolutions behind this API that make a small bug
>> today into a big bug tomorrow. The idea is to push the user off the API
>> when they try to do more with it, not when we forcibly explode their
>> working code.
>>
>> "We don't break userspace". I know _we_ didn't say that about our
>> project. But I like to think we understand the wisdom behind that, and can
>> start at least pretending we believe in ourselves and our users enough
>> to hold to it for some things, even if we don't really like some of the
>> more dark and dingy corners of userspace that we have put out there.
>
> I see, so here's a more subjective idea of how we want to handle such
> sensitive (being used for long time, important for some core operations,
> etc) APIs and fix bugs on a case by case basis. We may be going in a
> positive direction by reducing support but amount of work wise, I think
> we can set expectations for developers as more process and less fixing.

This thread has gotten longer and more complicated than I expected.

At a very basic level, we aren't going to (knowingly) break the nova
images API if using glance v2 on the backend, that's where a translation
layer has to come in as part of the glance v2 adoption.

But the nova images API is feature frozen, meaning we aren't going to
make it handle glance v2-like requests. The same is true for how we
don't have volume-type support in the nova volume create API.

So now that we can all agree that we aren't removing the nova images API
and we aren't going to break it for glance v2 adoption, we can also
agree that we don't want people using it.

One of the entry points to using it is via the CLI and python API
bindings in python-novaclient. Hence why I'm proposing that we deprecate
and eventually remove those. That's not a dependency for glance v2
adoption in nova, it's just a parallel thing we should have already done
awhile back.

OK, I think that's it.

Matt Riedemann