[openstack-dev] [magnum] Containers lifecycle management

Flavio Percoco flavio at redhat.com
Wed Apr 6 13:13:31 UTC 2016

Greetings,

I'm fairly new to Magnum and I hope my comments below are accurate.

After reading some docs, links and other references, I seem to understand the
Magnum team has a debate on whether providing abstraction for containers
lifecycle is something the project should do or not. There's a patch that
attempts to remove PODs and some debates on whether `container-*` commands are
actually useful or not.

Based on the above, I wanted to understand what would be the recommended way for
services willing to consume magnum to run containers? I've been digging a bit
into what would be required for Trove to consume Magnum and based on the above,
it seems the answer is that it should support either docker, k8s or mesos
instead.

- Is the above correct?
- Is there a way to create a container, transparently, on whatever backend using
  Magnum's API?

Sorry if I got something wrong,
Flavio

--