[openstack-dev] [nova][glance] Proposal to remove `nova image-*` commands from novaclient

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Wed Apr 6 12:26:24 UTC 2016

On 04/06/2016 04:13 AM, Markus Zoeller wrote:
> +1 for deprecation and removal
>
> To be honest, when I started with Nova during Kilo, I didn't get
> why we have those passthrough APIs. They looked like convenience APIs.
> A short history lesson, why they got introduced, would be cool. I only
> found commit [1] which looks like they were there from the beginning.

> https://github.com/openstack/python-novaclient/commit/7304ed80df265b3b11a0018a826ce2e38c052572#diff-56f10b3a40a197d5691da75c2b847d31R33

The short history lesson is nova image API existed before glance. Glance
was a spin out from Nova of that API. Doing so doesn't immediately make
that API go away however. Especially as all these things live on
different ports with different end points. So the image API remained as
a proxy (as did volumes, baremetal, and even to some extend networks).

It's not super clear how you deprecate and remove these things without
breaking a lot of people, as a lot of the libraries implement the nova
image resources -
https://github.com/fog/fog-openstack/blob/master/lib/fog/openstack/compute.rb

	-Sean

--