[openstack-dev] [Nova] FPGA as a resource

Zhipeng Huang zhipengh512 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 11:47:18 UTC 2016

Yes the project is quite new, we are still developing requirements at the
OPNFV side. We will update with full description after the summit when we
got all the inputs. Look forward to have a chat with you at the summit :)

I think you are right that Nomad does not solve the problem per se in this
thread, however it would be the natural next step. After having Nova being
able to use FPGA as a resource, you will need to be able schedule FPGA
resources for the VM.

We also have a team based in Canada that specialized in FPGA related
management that will participate in the Nomad development, we could have
more deep dive chat when we got chance :)

On Wed, Apr 6, 2016 at 6:28 PM, Roman Dobosz <roman.dobosz at intel.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 6 Apr 2016 16:12:16 +0800
> Zhipeng Huang <zhipengh512 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > You are actually touching on something we have been working on. There is
> > team in OPNFV DPACC project has been working acceleration related topics,
> > including folks from CMCC, Intel, ARM, Freescale, Huawei. We found out
> that
> > in order to have acceleration working under NFV scenrios, other than Nova
> > and Neutron's support, we also need a standalone service that manage
> > accelerators itself.
> >
> > That means we want to treat accelerators, and FPGA being an important
> part
> > of it, as a first class resource citizen and we want to be able to do
> life
> > cycle management and scheduling on acceleration resources.
> >
> > Based upon that requirement we started a new project called Nomad [1] on
> > Jan this year, to serve as an OpenStack service for distributed
> > acceleration management.
> >
> > We've just started the project, and currently discussing the first BP
> [2].
> > We have a team working on IP-SEC based accelerator mgmt, and would love
> > have more people to work on topics like FPGA.
> >
> > We also have a topic on introducing Nomad accepted in Austin Summit [3].
> >
> > You are more than welcomed to join the conversation : )
>
> Thanks! I'll try to attend.
>
> Nevertheless, I've briefly looked at page of project Nomad, and don't
> quite get it, how this might be related to cases described in this
> thread - i.e. providing attachable, non trivial devices as a new
> resources in Nova.
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Roman Dobosz

Zhipeng (Howard) Huang

Standard Engineer
IT Standard & Patent/IT Prooduct Line
Huawei Technologies Co,. Ltd
Email: huangzhipeng at huawei.com
Office: Huawei Industrial Base, Longgang, Shenzhen

(Previous)
Research Assistant
Mobile Ad-Hoc Network Lab, Calit2
University of California, Irvine
Email: zhipengh at uci.edu
Office: Calit2 Building Room 2402

OpenStack, OPNFV, OpenDaylight, OpenCompute Aficionado