[openstack-dev] [nova][glance] Proposal to remove `nova image-*` commands from novaclient

Markus Zoeller mzoeller at de.ibm.com
Wed Apr 6 08:13:22 UTC 2016

"Steve Martinelli" <stevemar at ca.ibm.com> wrote on 04/06/2016 06:45:42 AM:

> From: "Steve Martinelli" <stevemar at ca.ibm.com>
> Date: 04/06/2016 06:46 AM
> Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [nova][glance] Proposal to remove `nova
> image-*` commands from novaclient
>
> +1000. Totally in favor of this, if anything it seems overdue, I'm a
> bit surprised that they aren't already deprecated. Two alternatives
> exist for the CLI (osc and glanceclient), and two alternatives exist
> for python API bindings (SDK and glanceclient).
>
> This should follow the same case with the nova volume-* commands,
> deprecate for 2 releases [1] and then remove [2]. The deprecation
> message can point users to OSC and glanceclient.
>
> [1] https://github.com/openstack/python-novaclient/commit/
> 23f13437dd64496fcbc138bbaa9b0ac615a3cf23
> [2] https://github.com/openstack/python-novaclient/commit/
> a42570268915f42405ed0b0a67c25686b5db22ce
>
> Thanks,
>
> Steve Martinelli
> OpenStack Keystone Project Team Lead

+1 for deprecation and removal

To be honest, when I started with Nova during Kilo, I didn't get
why we have those passthrough APIs. They looked like convenience APIs.
A short history lesson, why they got introduced, would be cool. I only
found commit [1] which looks like they were there from the beginning.