[openstack-dev] [nova] [glance] Getting the ball rolling on glance v2 in nova in newton cycle

Nikhil Komawar nik.komawar at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 06:35:20 UTC 2016

Inline comment.

On 4/1/16 10:16 AM, Sean Dague wrote:
> On 04/01/2016 10:08 AM, Monty Taylor wrote:
>> On 04/01/2016 08:45 AM, Sean Dague wrote:
>>> The glance v2 work is currently blocked as there is no active spec,
>>> would be great if someone from the glance team could get that rolling
>>> again.
>>>
>>> I started digging back through the patches in detail to figure out if
>>> there are some infrastructure bits we could get in early regardless.
>>>
>>> #1 - new methods for glance xenserver plugin
>>>
>>> Let's take a simplified approach on this patch -
>>> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/266933 and only change the
>>> xenapi/etc/xapi.d/plugins/ content in the following ways.
>>>
>>> - add upload/download_vhd_glance2 methods. Don't add an api parameter.
>>> Add these methods mostly via copy/paste as we're optimizing for deleting
>>> v1 not for fixing v1.
>>>
>>> That will put some infrastructure in place so we can just call the v2
>>> actions based on decision from higher up the stack.
>>>
>>> #2 - move discover major version back to glanceclient -
>>> https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/3cdaa30566c17a2add5d9163a0693c97dc1d065b/nova/image/glance.py#L108
>>>

>>> I don't understand why this was ever in nova. This really should be
>>>
>>> glanceclient.discover... something. It uses internal methods from
>>> glanceclient and internal structures of the content returned.
>> FWIW, I use:
>>
>> from glanceclient.common import utils as glance_utils
>> endpoint, detected_version = glance_utils.strip_version(endpoint)
>>
>> To part of trying to figure this out as a consumer. Of course, that's
>> partially because like most of the openstack clients, there is no
>> exposed API for querying versions, since you have to tell the
>> constructor what major version you want to construct.
> You can do that because you are using service catalogue entries for
> glance. We're not there yet (and the path to get there is... odd for a
> bunch of reasons).
>
> The information that nova has is the config option api_servers -
> https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/3cdaa30566c17a2add5d9163a0693c97dc1d065b/nova/conf/glance.py#L25
>
> Which are unversioned endpoints.

Yeah, using the glance endpoint behind LB would be a (b)sad idea. Also,
I don't know if we want to un/recommend on using private vs. public
glance installations. Would be great to get some feedback for other
Glance discussions too.

>>> Catching, if desired, should also be on the glanceclient side.
>>> glanceclient.reset_version() could exist to clear any caching.
>>>
>>> #3 - Ideally we'd also have a
>>>
>>> client = glanceclient.AutoClient(endpoint, ... ) which basically does
>>> glanceclient.discover and returns us the right client automatically.
>>> client.version provides access to the version information if you need to
>>> figure out what version of a client you have.
>> You should just do:
>>
>> import os_client_config
>>
>> client = os_client_config.legacy_client('image') since all of that work
>> is pretty much already done.
>>
>> If glanceclient grows the ability to be used without a priori knowledge
>> of the version, I'll certainly start to use it  there.
> That assumes credentials locally, right? Nova is building glance clients
> with the context it received the request in as -
> https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/3cdaa30566c17a2add5d9163a0693c97dc1d065b/nova/image/glance.py#L78-L85
> - so this is happening as the same user as initiated the Nova API call.
>
> The on-behalf-of needs here make this a bit more complicated.
>
> 	-Sean

Nikhil