[openstack-dev] [nova][glance] Proposal to remove `nova image-*` commands from novaclient

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Wed Apr 6 03:24:28 UTC 2016

On 04/05/2016 05:07 PM, Michael Still wrote:
> As a recent newcomer to using our client libraries, my only real
> objection to this plan is that our client libraries as a mess [1][2].
> The interfaces we expect users to use are quite different for basic
> things like initial auth between the various clients, and by introducing
> another library we insist people use we're going to force a lot of devs
> to eventually go through having to understand how those other people did
> that thing.

The big misunderstanding is thinking that our client libs are for our
users. I made that mistake early on. Our client libs are really for
server to server communication.

If you want a client lib that works - use either openstacksdk or shade.
Which of the you use depends on what you want to accomplish.
openstacksdk is a well designed interface to the OpenStack APIs. Of
course, the OpenStack APIs are really hard to use across clouds. Shade
hides the incompatibilities between the clouds, but is not a direct
mapping to REST API docs.

> I guess I could ease my concerns here if we could agree to some sort of
> standard for what auth in a client library looks like...
>
> Some examples of auth at the moment:

If you want a client object from one of the client libraries, I STRONGLY
suggest using os-client-config to construct them instead of using the
constructors directly. This is because the constructors are really only
for other OpenStack services.

http://inaugust.com/posts/simple-openstack-clients.html

> self.glance = glance_client.Client('2', endpoint, token=token)

There are next to zero cases where the thing you want to do is talk to
glance using a token and an endpoint. In fact, outside of being inside
of nova and making proxy calls, the only 'valid' use case is keystone
service catalog bootstrapping ... and that got replaced with something
sane in mitaka.

What you want is this:

client = os_client_config.make_client(
     'network',
     auth_url='https://example.com', username='my-user',
     password='awesome-password', project_name='my-project',
     region_name='the-best-region')

You should ALWAYS pass an auth_url, a username, a password and a
project_name. Otherwise, the keystoneauth Session will not be able to
re-auth you. Also, it saves you having to construct a token yourself.

> self.ironic = ironic_client.get_client(1, ironic_url=endpoint,
> os_auth_token=token)
> self.nova = nova_client.Client('2', bypass_url=endpoint, auth_token=token)
>
> Note how we can't decide if the version number is a string or an int,
> and the argument names for the endpoint and token are different in all
> three. Its like we're _trying_ to make this hard.

The python-*client libraries are exceptionally painful to use. Any time
you want to use them, I recommend not using them, as above.