[openstack-dev] [TripleO] FreeIPA integration

Adam Young ayoung at redhat.com
Wed Apr 6 02:01:21 UTC 2016

On 04/05/2016 09:01 AM, Steven Hardy wrote:
> [...]
>>       > 4. Certificate Authority (CA) server (Dogtag)
>>       > 5. WebUI/Web Service Management Interface (HTTPD)
>>       >
>>       > Of these, the CA is the most critical.  Without a centralized CA, we
>>       have no
>>       > reasonable way to do certificate management.
>>       >
>>       > Now, I know a lot of people have an allergic reaction to some, maybe
>>       all, of
>>       > these technologies. They should not be required to be running in a
>>       > development or testbed setup.  But we need to make it possible to
>>       secure an
>>       > end deployment, and FreeIPA was designed explicitly for these kinds of
>>       > distributed applications.  Here is what I would like to implement.
>>       >
>>       > Assuming that the Undercloud is installed on a physical machine, we
>>       want to
>>       > treat the FreeIPA server as a managed service of the undercloud that
>>       is then
>>       > consumed by the rest of the overcloud. Right now, there are conflicts
>>       for
>>       > some ports (8080 used by both swift and Dogtag) that prevent a drop-in
>>       run
>>       > of the server on the undercloud controller.  Even if we could
>>       deconflict,
>>       > there is a possible battle between Keystone and the FreeIPA server on
>>       the
>>       > undercloud.  So, while I would like to see the ability to run the
>>       FreeIPA
>>       > server on the Undercloud machine eventuall, I think a more realistic
>>       > deployment is to build a separate virtual machine, parallel to the
>>       overcloud
>>       > controller, and install FreeIPA there. I've been able to modify
>>       Tripleo
>>       > Quickstart to provision this VM.
>>
>>       IMO these services shouldn't be deployed on the undercloud - we only
>>       support a single node undercloud, and atm it's completely possible to
>>       take
>>       the undercloud down without any impact to your deployed cloud (other
>>       than
>>       losing the ability to manage it temporarily).
>>
>>     This is fair enough, however, for CI purposes, would it be acceptable to
>>     deploy it there? Or where do you recommend we have it?
> We're already well beyond capacity in CI, so to me this seems like
> something that's probably appropriate for a third-party CI job?
>
> To me it just doesn't make sense to integrate these pieces on the
> undercloud, and integrating it there just because we need it available for
> CI purposes seems like a poor argument, because we're not testing a
> representative/realistic environment.
>
> If we have to wire this in to TripleO CI I'd favor spinning up an extra
> node with the FreeIPA pieces in, e.g a separate Heat stack (so, e.g the
> nonha job takes 3 nodes, a "freeipa" stack of 1 and an overcloud of 2).
So, this is actually what I proposed.  If you reread my original, put
the emphasis on the first part:

"Assuming that the Undercloud is installed on a physical machine, we
want to  treat the FreeIPA server as a managed service of the undercloud
that is then  consumed by the rest of the overcloud." Running it on the
Undercloud machine was only

"I would like ...  ability ... eventually"

As I said, with quickstart, I have the ability to deploy an additional
VM and throw IPA on there.  I have it all set with Ansible.  This
machine could avoid using Puppet itself.

But, it is possible to install IPA using Puppet, and we could do that
too, its just new code to be written.

The ability to run with an existing IPA server is also important. Either
way, though, what is important is that IPA be available, or we lose the
Certificate management.  So, for CI, I would like to drive on with
running it this way.

There are a couple one efforts to make this happen out there;

https://github.com/purpleidea/puppet-ipa
https://forge.puppetlabs.com/huit/ipa