[openstack-dev] [nova][glance] Proposal to remove `nova image-*` commands from novaclient

Ian Cordasco sigmavirus24 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 21:35:05 UTC 2016

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Still <mikal at stillhq.com>
Reply: Michael Still <mikal at stillhq.com>
Date: April 5, 2016 at 16:30:36
To: Ian Cordasco <sigmavirus24 at gmail.com>
Subject:  Re: [openstack-dev] [nova][glance] Proposal to remove `nova image-*` commands from novaclient

> So like I said, I haven't looked at it at all because I am middle aged,
> stuck in my ways, hate freedom, and because I didn't think of it.
>
> Does it include a command line interface that's not crazy as well?
>
> If so, why are we maintaining duplicate sets of libraries / clients? It
> seems like a lot of wasted effort.

I think the goal for the python-openstacksdk was to create an effort, like the python-openstackclient, which would provide a good user experience (in this case for developers) with a consistent design for a single library to eliminate the need for every other library.

The goal is to centralize the server expertise and have that be combined with the folks who know how to better design a library for a good developer experience (kind of like with osc). That said, I think the SDK would have gained more traction if the OSC project had adopted it (which it is hesistant to do given the troubles it has had with conflicting versions of the service clients).

I'll let those projects developers/core reviewers speak more to all of that since I've been out of the loop for a while.
--
Ian Cordasco