[openstack-dev] [TripleO] FreeIPA integration

Hayes, Graham graham.hayes at hpe.com
Tue Apr 5 12:02:54 UTC 2016

On 02/04/2016 22:33, Adam Young wrote:
> I finally have enough understanding of what is going on with Tripleo to
> reasonably discuss how to implement solutions for some of the main
> security needs of a deployment.
>

> FreeIPA is an identity management solution that can provide support for:
>
> 1. TLS on all network communications:
>      A. HTTPS for web services
>      B. TLS for the message bus
>      C. TLS for communication with the Database.
> 2. Identity for all Actors in the system:
>     A.  API services
>     B.  Message producers and consumers
>     C.  Database consumers
>     D.  Keystone service users
> 3. Secure  DNS DNSSEC
> 4. Federation Support
> 5. SSH Access control to Hosts for both undercloud and overcloud
> 6. SUDO management
> 7. Single Sign On for Applications running in the overcloud.
>

> The main pieces of FreeIPA are
> 1. LDAP (the 389 Directory Server)
> 2. Kerberos
> 3. DNS (BIND)
> 4. Certificate Authority (CA) server (Dogtag)
> 5. WebUI/Web Service Management Interface (HTTPD)

	<snip>

> There are a couple ongoing efforts that will tie in with this:
>
> 1. Designate should be able to use the DNS from FreeIPA.  That was the
> original implementation.

Designate cannot use FreeIPA - we haven't had a driver for it since
Kilo.

There have been various efforts since to support FreeIPA, but it
requires that it is the point of truth for DNS information, as does
Designate.

If FreeIPA supported the traditional Notify and Zone Transfer mechanisms
then we would be fine, but unfortunately it does not.

[1] Actually points out that the goal of FreeIPA's DNS integration
"... is NOT to provide general-purpose DNS server. Features beyond
easing FreeIPA deployment and maintenance are explicitly out of scope."

1 - http://www.freeipa.org/page/DNS#Goals