[openstack-dev] [Fuel][Bareon][Ironic] The future of integration module

Oleksandr Berezovskyi oberezovskyi at mirantis.com
Tue Apr 5 09:17:24 UTC 2016

Hello,

At the beginning of the work, we've taken fuel-agent driver from Ironic
team and customized it.
Here is main features, which were created during development for Cray (all
of them are now part of bareon-ironic):

   1. deploy-config could be stored in multiple places (image meta,
   instance meta and node meta) and top-level attributes are being merged
   according to priorities in ironic.conf;
   2. default deploy-config support;
   3. support for both two-image (kernel+ramdisk) and three-image
   (kernel+ramdisk+squashfs) agents boot;
   4. rsync deployment support (insecure and secure);
   5. kernel parameters for tenant image and pxe boot could be appended
   with info from ironic.conf;
   6. pulling of agent log in case of unsuccessful deployment;
   7. on-fail script support (list of actions, which are being executed in
   case of unsuccessful deployment);
   8. actions support (set of actions being executed):
      1. actions at deployment time (after deployment);
      2. actions during node lifetime via vendor-passthru interface;
   9. compatibility check between agent version and driver version;
   10. deployment timeout mechanism;
   11. deployment termination mechanism (requires patches to nova and
   ironic);
   12. multi-boot feature (multiple OSes could be deployed to implement
   quick switch).

In case of any questions feel free to ask.

Best regards,
Oleksandr

On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 1:33 PM, Evgeniy L <eli at mirantis.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to bring up discussion on Bareon [0] and Ironic integration
> and plans for the future.
>
> But first let me provide background information on the topic. Bareon is
> partitioning/provisioning system [1] which is based on Fuel-agent [2],
> currently it's in active development and will be used in Fuel 10.0 instead
> of Fuel-agent (as partitioning/provisioning system).
>
> There is integration module for Bareon and Ironic [3], based on this
> module Cray team implemented another version [4], which is going to be
> merged in separate repository.
>
> Ideally there should be a single module which is used for Bareon and
> Ironic integration.
> In order to do that, the differences has to be identified and based on
> that decisions are made (on deprecation and/or backports).
>
> I would like to ask for help from Cray and Ironic (Ironic -
> Bareon/Fuel-agent maintainers) teams to identify the differences and help
> with future plans on integration.
>
> Thanks,
>
> [0] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Bareon
> [1]