[openstack-dev] [neutron][api] advanced search criteria

Hirofumi Ichihara ichihara.hirofumi at lab.ntt.co.jp
Tue Apr 5 01:06:53 UTC 2016

Hi Ihar,

On 2016/04/05 7:57, Ihar Hrachyshka wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> in neutron, we have a bunch of configuration options to control
> advanced filtering features for API, f.e. allow_sorting,
> allow_pagination, allow_bulk, etc. Those options have default False
> values.
I saw allow_bulk option is set default True in
https://github.com/openstack/neutron/blob/master/neutron/common/config.py#L66
Well, I don't think there's someone sets False to the option.

> In the base API controller class, we have support for both native
> sorting/pagination/bulk operations [implemented by the plugin itself],
> as well as a generic implementation for plugins without native
> support. But if corresponding allow_* options are left with their
> default False values, those advanced search/filtering criteria just
> don’t work, no matter whether the plugin support native filters, or not.
>
> It seems weird to me that our API behaves differently depending on
> configuration options, and that we have those useful features disabled
> by default.
>
> My immediate interest is to add native support for sorting/pagination
> for QoS service plugin; I have a patch for that, and I planned to add
> some API tests to validate that the features work, but I hit failures
> because those features are not enabled for the -api job.
>
> Some questions:
> - can we enable those features in -api job?
> - is there any reason to keep default values for allow_* as False, and
> if not, can we switch to True?
> - why do we even need to control those features with configuration
> options? can we deprecate and remove them?
I agree we will deprecate and remove the option but I think that we need
more tests if we support it as default.
It looks like there are very few tests(UT only).

Thanks,
Hirofumi