[openstack-dev] [docs] Our Install Guides Only Cover Defcore - What about big tent?

Kenny Johnston kenny at kencjohnston.com
Mon Apr 4 19:29:14 UTC 2016

On Mon, Apr 4, 2016 at 1:41 PM, Andreas Jaeger <aj at suse.com> wrote:

> >> I think it would be a big mistake to try to create one guide for
> >> installing all OpenStack projects. As you say, testing what we have
> >> now is already a monumental task and impedes your ability to make
> >> changes.  Adding more projects, with ever more dependencies and
> >> configuration issues to the work the same team is doing would bury
> >> the current documentation team. So I think focusing on the DefCore
> >> list, or even a smaller list of projects with tight installation
> >> integration requirements, makes sense for the team currently producing
> >> the installation guide.
> >
> > Yes, the base install guide should ideally serve as a reference to reach
> > that first step where you have all the underlying services (MySQL,
> > Rabbit) and a base set of functionality (starterkit:compute ?) installed
> > and working. That is where we need high-quality, proactively-checked,
> > easy to understand content.
> >
> > Then additional guides (ideally produced by each project team with
> > tooling and mentoring from the docs team) can pick up from that base
> > first step, assuming their users have completed that first step
> > successfully.
> >

> Fully agreed.
>
> I just wrote a first draft spec for all of this and look forward to
> reviews.
>
> I'll enhance some more tomorrow, might copy a bit from above (saw this
> too late).
>
> https://review.openstack.org/301284
>
> Andreas
> --
>  Andreas Jaeger aj@{suse.com,opensuse.org} Twitter/Identica: jaegerandi
>   SUSE LINUX GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany
>    GF: Felix Imendörffer, Jane Smithard, Graham Norton,
>        HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)
>     GPG fingerprint = 93A3 365E CE47 B889 DF7F  FED1 389A 563C C272 A126

I commented on the review, but is an alternative solution to appropriately
rename the Install Guide to something like "OpenStack Proof of Concept
Guide" or "OpenStack Starter Kit Guide" and then create the centralized
docs.o.o/install-guides that references both project-specific and
deployment-project install guides?

These guides could then offer more flexibility in install options and
advice.

--
Kenny Johnston | freenode:kencjohnston | @kencjohnston