[openstack-dev] [neutron] -2'ing all patches on every gate breakage

Armando M. armamig at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 17:06:48 UTC 2016

On 4 April 2016 at 09:51, Ihar Hrachyshka <ihrachys at redhat.com> wrote:

> Doug Wiegley <dougwig at parksidesoftware.com> wrote:
>
> On Apr 4, 2016, at 10:22 AM, Ihar Hrachyshka <ihrachys at redhat.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Armando M. <armamig at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Yeah, but it’s already up to two working days in some places.
>>>

>> Not that -2’s sitting around is good, but what is so urgent that two days
>> affects the overall flow of things, and didn’t get escalated?  Review
>> chains can address collaboration issues.  Monster syntax churns with lots
>> of conflicts get more annoying, but they’re annoying for everyone anyway.
>> The worst part of two days with a -2 is the fact that no one will look at
>> it and give feedback during that time period, IMO, not that it takes longer
>> to merge.  Velocity is about throughput, not latency.
>>

> It is definitely not the end of the world. The process of -2 cancellation
> is just non-transparent, and I am not sure whether I need to reach the vote
> owner to remove it, or it will just magically vanish. I had inconsistent
> experiences with freezing -2’s in OpenStack.

If the vote doesn't magically vanish when you expect to, you can simply
reach out the person. When has that become a problem, especially when that
person is usually available on irc and generally very responsive?

The -2 keeps you on your toes and aware of the state of the gate, which to
me is a good thing :)