[openstack-dev] [neutron] -2'ing all patches on every gate breakage

Hayes, Graham graham.hayes at hpe.com
Mon Apr 4 16:22:10 UTC 2016

On 04/04/2016 17:11, Ihar Hrachyshka wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I noticed that often times we go and -2 all the patches in the review queue
> on every neutron specific gate breakage spotted. This is allegedly done to
> make sure that nothing known to be broken land in merge gate until we fix
> the breakage on our side.
>
> While I share the goal of not resetting the gate if we can avoid it, I find
> the way we do it a bit too aggressive. Especially considering that often
> times those -2 votes sit there not cleared even days after the causing
> breakage is fixed, needlessly blocking patches landing.
>
> I suggest we either make sure that we remove those -2 votes right after
> gate fixes land, or we use other means to communicate to core reviewers
> that there is a time window when nothing should land in the merge queue.
>
> Thanks,
> Ihar

I recently submitted https://review.openstack.org/295253 as an idea for
designate to prioritize reviews.

Something similar could be a good solution, in conjunction with a bot.

So, when a gate breakage starts, saying "!gate breakage" would apply a
"-1 Procedural Block" that gets removed when "!gate fixed" was said?

This removes the need for humans to do the removal (and try and
remember which reviews were really -2'd or they had had a -1 on)

- Graham