[openstack-dev] [fuel] Unrelated changes in patches

Dmitry Guryanov dguryanov at mirantis.com
Mon Apr 4 12:46:35 UTC 2016

Hello, colleagues!

It's often not so easy to decide, if you should include some unrelated
changes to your patch, like fixing spaces, renaming variables or something
else, which don't change logic. On the one hand you see something's wrong
with the code and you'd like to fix it, on the other hand reviewers can
vote of -1 and you'll have to fix you patch and upload it again and this is
very annoying. You can also create separate review for such changes, but it
will require additional effort from you and reviewers.

If you are a reviewer, and you've noted unrelated changes you may hesitate,
if you should ask an author to remove them and upload new version of the
patch or not. Also such extra changes may confuse you sometimes.

So I suggest creating separate patches for unrelated changes if they add
new chucks to patch. And I'd like to ask authors to clearly state in the
subject of a commit message, that this patch just fixes formatting. And
reviewers shouldn't check such patches too severely, so that they'll get
into repo as soon as possible.

What do you think?

--
Dmitry Guryanov