[openstack-dev] [neutron]: Neutron naming legal issues

Edgar Magana edgar.magana at workday.com
Fri Apr 1 15:55:01 UTC 2016

BTW. This is my proposal design for this summit t-shirts:

Yes, I run overcomplicated virtual networking in my Cloud

nova-network
quantum
neutron
nova-network ...
neutron
quantum

of course, after a few changes!

From: "Armando M." <armamig at gmail.com<mailto:armamig at gmail.com>>
Date: Thursday, March 31, 2016 at 11:06 PM
Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [neutron]: Neutron naming legal issues

On 31 March 2016 at 22:46, Jimmy Akin <jimmyakin at rambler.ru<mailto:jimmyakin at rambler.ru>> wrote:

Dear Neutrinos,

We've been following the project for quite some time.
To our satisfaction the project seems to have done well; the base line of
features that were available to the networking component of OpenStack
(then nova-network) has grown quite a bit and seem to have gained a
successful momentum with the communities, both development and
operators.

However, Neutron appears to be a trademarked name [1], and after thoroughly discussing the issue with our and Marvel' legal departments
both sides have reached the conclusion that a naming scheme is an obligatory amendment and unfortunately is the only viable option.

An obvious resolution to this issue is reverting the old "Quantum" name back.
However, this is subject to change and review from the PTL and as such, we'll shortly propose a relevant change to the review system.
We anticipate the review process to be be swift, to avoid further legal implications.

To be perfectly honest with you, I always liked the 'Quantum' name more.

With the ongoing release cycle called 'Newton', my hatred for the 'Neutron' name has increased, since I keep mispronouncing with 'Neutron' and vice versa.

Therefore I can't express my gratitude enough for this well timed proposal. You got my +2, though you got get behind governance change [1] first.

Happy hacking!
Armando,
Quantum (formerly known as Newton) PTL

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/300274/

Sincerely,
Jimmy J. Akin,
CIO,        John F. Kennedy Space Center.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutron_(Marvel_Comics)