[openstack-dev] [neutron]: Neutron naming legal issues

Ihar Hrachyshka ihrachys at redhat.com
Fri Apr 1 08:24:37 UTC 2016

Akihiro Motoki <amotoki at gmail.com> wrote:

> IIRC 'Quantum' was renamed to 'Neutron' due to the trademark issue.
> I don't think reverting it to 'Quantum' resolves the issue.
> When we chose a new name, the foundation checked the legal/trademark issue,
> so I think it is better to contact the OpenStack foundation or discuss
> it in the legal-discuss ML.
>
> "Newton" release of "neutron" is confusing though :(

We could play words, like Quantron or Neutrum. Actually, it makes perfect
sense to me, since the change to rename all project name references will be
half the size of the proposed solution, and may even save us some git
conflicts, assuming we hack Gerrit to use word-based conflict merging
engine.

Ihar