[openstack-dev] What's Up, Doc? Mitaka Release Edition

Lana Brindley openstack at lanabrindley.com
Fri Apr 1 01:18:59 UTC 2016

Hi everyone,

While it was very tempting to write something something shocking here for April Fools', I thought everyone might have already had their heart rate raised enough by the fact that Mitaka is only five days away! This will be my final docs newsletter before the release, and the docs are in great shape ready to go out.

I would like to sincerely thank Andreas and our release managers Brian and Olga, not only for the hard work they've done so far, but also for holding down the fort over the next few days while I'm out of contact. Please remember to contact them directly if you have any last minute documentation fires that need putting out. I'd also like to mention the hard work that the Installation Guide testers have been putting in over the past couple of weeks. The testing matrix is looking very green (https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/MitakaDocTesting) and I'm confident that we'll get the Mitaka guide out fully tested and on schedule.

Don't forget you can check release progress on the etherpad here: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/MitakaRelease

== Progress towards Mitaka ==

5 days to go!

558 bugs closed so far for this release.

Docs Testing
* https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/MitakaDocTesting
* Only a few items left to check off, at this stage we're good to publish the Ubuntu, RDO, and Suse guides on release day.

Release Tasks:
* Release planning occurs in our etherpad here: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/MitakaRelease
* All tasks that should be completed at this stage are done, and we're on track to start the release process in the 24-48 hours before the release drops.
* Release notes for the docs project are in a "reno-style" directory in the openstack-manuals repo. This directory is not being managed by Reno, however, so please propose patches to it directly.

== The Road to Austin ==

* First of all, thanks for the amazing feedback on what docs sessions you would like to see at the Austin Design Summit! We have filled our entire allocation (and then some), and the schedule so far is here:  https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/Newton-DocsSessions
* There's been a really robust and exciting conversation about the Install Guide on the dev list over the past week or so, which I have been following closely. If you're interested in overhauling our Install Guide (and it certainly seems like a lot of people are!), then please make sure you add our Install Guide Design Summit session to your agenda. It is on Wednesday at 11:50, so placed so that it can run over into lunchtime if required.
* A note for those who noticed the Ops guide omission: this should take place in the Ops track, and I'll let you know when that session will be.

== Doc team meeting ==

Next meetings:

The US meeting was held this week, you can read the minutes here: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/MeetingLogs#2016-03-30

Next meetings:
APAC: No APAC meeting this week
US: Wednesday 13 April, 19:00 UTC (This is after the Mitaka release)

Please go ahead and add any agenda items to the meeting page here: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Meetings/DocTeamMeeting#Agenda_for_next_meeting

--

Keep on doc'ing!

Lana