[openstack-dev] [nova] live migration in Mitaka

Chris Friesen chris.friesen at windriver.com
Wed Sep 30 16:03:30 UTC 2015

On 09/30/2015 06:03 AM, Koniszewski, Pawel wrote:
>> From: Murray, Paul (HP Cloud) [mailto:pmurray at hpe.com]

>> - migrate suspended instances
>
> I'm not sure I understand this correctly. When user calls 'nova suspend' I
> thought that it actually "hibernates" VM and saves memory state to disk
> [2][3]. In such case there is nothing to "live" migrate - shouldn't
> cold-migration/resize solve this problem?

A "suspend" currently uses a libvirt API (dom.managedSave()) that results in the
use of a libvirt-managed hibernation file. (So nova doesn't know the filename.)
  I've only looked at it briefly, but it seems like it should be possible to
switch to virDomainSave(), which would let nova specify the file to save, and
therefore allow cold migration of the suspended instance.

Chris