[openstack-dev] [election] [tc] Candidacy for Mitaka

Julien Danjou julien at danjou.info
Wed Sep 30 10:50:18 UTC 2015

Hi fellow developers,

I hereby announce my candidacy for the OpenStack Technical Committee election.

I am currently employed by Red Hat and spend all my time working on upstream
OpenStack development. Something I've been doing since 2011. Those last years,
I ran the Ceilometer project as a PTL and already served the TC a few cycles
ago. I did many contributions to OpenStack as a whole, and I'm one of the top
contributors of the project[1] – hey I contributed to 72 OpenStack projects!

My plan here is to bring some of my views of the OpenStack world to the
technical committee, which actually does not seem to do much technical stuff
nowadays – much more bureaucracy. Maybe we should rename it?

I'm glad we now have a "big tent" approach of our community. I was one of the
first and only at the TC to say we should not push back projects for bad
reasons, and now we are accepting 10× times more. The tag system we are now
using and that has been imagined is nice, but as a new user of the tags, I find
them annoying and not always completely thought-through. I'm in favor of a more
agile and more user-oriented development, and I'd love bringing more of that.

I would also like to bring some of my hindsight about testing, usability and
documentation on the table. I've been, with part of the Telemetry team, able to
build a project that has a good and sane community, that works by default, has
a well-designed REST API and a great up-to-date documentation and is simple to
deploy and use. I wish the rest of OpenStack was a bit more like that.

[1] http://stackalytics.com/?metric=commits&user_id=jdanjou&release=all

Happy hacking!

--
Julien Danjou