[openstack-dev] [cinder][neutron][all] New third-party-ci testing requirements for OpenStack Compatible mark

Silvan Kaiser silvan at quobyte.com
Wed Sep 30 05:38:45 UTC 2015

Hello Chris!
FYI: regarding Cinder CIs, the tests to be run are specified at [1], afaik.

Silvan

[1]
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Cinder/tested-3rdParty-drivers#What_tests_do_I_use.3F

> [...]
> CI becomes eligible for the "OpenStack Compatible” mark. It’s not
> automatic, and still needs a signed agreement with the Foundation.
>
> When you say that the driver have to 'pass' the integration tests, what
> tests do you consider? All tests in tempest? All patches? Do you have any
> criteria to determine if a backend is passing or not?
>

> We’re letting the project drive what tests need to be passed. So,
> taking a look at this dashboard[1] (it’s one of many that monitor
> our test systems) the drivers are running the dsvm-tempest-full
> tests. One of the things that the tests exercise, and we’re interested
> in from the driver standpoint, are both the user-facing Cinder APIs
> as well as the driver-facing APIs.
>
> For Neutron, which we would like to help roll out in the coming year,
> this would be a CI run that is defined by the Neutron development
> team. We have no interest in dictating to the developers what should
> be run. Instead, we want to adopt what the community considers
> to be the best-practices and standards for drivers.
>
> About this "OpenStack Compatible" flag, how does it work? Will you hold a
> list with the Compatible vendors? Is anything a vendor need to to in order
> to use this?
>

> “OpenStack Compatible” is one of the trademark programs that is
> administered by the Foundation. A company that want to apply the
> OpenStack logo to their product needs to sign a licensing agreement,
> which gives them the right to use the logo in their marketing materials.
>
> We also create an entry in the OpenStack Marketplace for their
> product, which has information about the company and the product, but
> also information about tests that the product may have passed. The
> best example I can give right now is with the “OpenStack Powered”
> program, where we display which Defcore guideline a product has
> successfully passed[2].
>
> Chris
>
> [1] http://ci-watch.tintri.com/project?project=cinder&time=24+hours
> [2] For example:
> http://www.openstack.org/marketplace/public-clouds/unitedstack/uos-cloud
>
> Thanks,
> Erlon
>
> On Mon, Sep 28, 2015 at 5:55 PM, Kyle Mestery <mestery at mestery.com> wrote:
>
>> The Neutron team also discussed this in Vancouver, you can see the
>> etherpad here [1]. We talked about the idea of creating a validation suite,
>> and it sounds like that's something we should again discuss in Tokyo for
>> the Mitaka cycle. I think a validation suite would be a great step forward
>> for Neutron third-party CI systems to use to validate they work with a
>> release.
>>
>> [1] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/YVR-neutron-third-party-ci-liberty

>>> The new program was approved by the Board at

>>> Thanks for spearheading this effort.
>>>
>>> Do you have more information/pointers about the program, and how Cinder
>>> in particular is
>>> paving the way for other projects to follow?

Dr. Silvan Kaiser
Quobyte GmbH
Hardenbergplatz 2, 10623 Berlin - Germany
+49-30-814 591 800 - www.quobyte.com<http://www.quobyte.com/>
Amtsgericht Berlin-Charlottenburg, HRB 149012B
Management board: Dr. Felix Hupfeld, Dr. Björn Kolbeck, Dr. Jan Stender