[openstack-dev] [Openstack-operators] [cinder] [all] The future of Cinder API v1

John Griffith john.griffith8 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 03:43:35 UTC 2015

On Mon, Sep 28, 2015 at 6:19 PM, Mark Voelker <mvoelker at vmware.com> wrote:

> FWIW, the most popular client libraries in the last user survey[1] other
> than OpenStack’s own clients were: libcloud (48 respondents), jClouds (36
> respondents), Fog (34 respondents), php-opencloud (21 respondents),
> DeltaCloud (which has been retired by Apache and hasn’t seen a commit in
> two years, but 17 respondents are still using it), pkgcloud (15
> respondents), and OpenStack.NET (14 respondents).  Of those:
>
> * libcloud appears to support the nova-volume API but not the cinder API:
> https://github.com/apache/libcloud/blob/trunk/libcloud/compute/drivers/openstack.py#L251
>
> * jClouds appears to support only the v1 API:
> https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds/tree/jclouds-1.9.1/apis/openstack-cinder/src/main/java/org/jclouds
>
> * Fog also appears to only support the v1 API:
> https://github.com/fog/fog/blob/master/lib/fog/openstack/volume.rb#L99
>
> * php-opencloud appears to only support the v1 API:
> https://php-opencloud.readthedocs.org/en/latest/services/volume/index.html
>
> * DeltaCloud I honestly haven’t looked at since it’s thoroughly dead, but
> I can’t imagine it supports v2.
>
> * pkgcloud has beta-level support for Cinder but I think it’s v1 (may be
> mistaken): https://github.com/pkgcloud/pkgcloud/#block-storage----beta
> and
> https://github.com/pkgcloud/pkgcloud/tree/master/lib/pkgcloud/openstack/blockstorage
>
> * OpenStack.NET does appear to support v2:
> http://www.openstacknetsdk.org/docs/html/T_net_openstack_Core_Providers_IBlockStorageProvider.htm
>
> Now, it’s anyone’s guess as to whether or not users of those client
> libraries actually try to use them for volume operations or not
> (anecdotally I know a few clouds I help support are using client libraries
> that only support v1), and some users might well be using more than one
> library or mixing in code they wrote themselves.  But most of the above
> that support cinder do seem to rely on v1.  Some management tools also
> appear to still rely on the v1 API (such as RightScale:
> http://docs.rightscale.com/clouds/openstack/openstack_config_prereqs.html
> ).  From that perspective it might be useful to keep it around a while
> longer and disable it by default.  Personally I’d probably lean that way,
> especially given that folks here on the ops list are still reporting
> problems too.
>
> That said, v1 has been deprecated since Juno, and the Juno release notes
> said it was going to be removed [2], so there’s a case to be made that
> there’s been plenty of fair warning too I suppose.
>
> [1]
> http://superuser.openstack.org/articles/openstack-application-developers-share-insights
> [2] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/ReleaseNotes/Juno#Upgrade_Notes_7
>
> At Your Service,
>
> Mark T. Voelker
>

> > On Sep 28, 2015, at 7:17 PM, Sam Morrison <sorrison at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Yeah we’re still using v1 as the clients that are packaged with most
> [...]

​My opinion is that even though V1 has technically been deprecated for
multiple cycles, V2 was never really viable until the Liberty release.
Between issues with V2 and other components, and then the version discovery
issues that broke some things; I think we should reset the deprecation
clock so to speak.

It was only in the last milestone of Liberty that folks finally got
everything updated and talking V2.  Not to mention the patch to switch the
default in devstack just landed (where everything uses it including Nova).

To summarize, absolutely NO to removing V1 in Mitaka, and I think resetting
the deprecation clock is the most reasonable course of action here.

Thanks,
John​