[openstack-dev] [OpenStack-Dev] Recent proposal to remove NetApp drivers

John Griffith john.griffith8 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 19:15:24 UTC 2015

Hey Everyone,

So I've been kinda busy on IRC today with conversations about some patches
I proposed yesterday [1], [2].

I thought maybe I should try and explain my actions a bit, because it seems
that some think I just arbitrarily flew off the handle and proposed
something drastic, or that I had some malicious intent here.

This all started when this bug [3] was submitted against Cinder and
Manilla.  So I took at look at the review that merged this ([4]), and sure
enough that should not have merged due to the licensing issue.

At that point I discussed the issue publicly on IRC in the openstack-dev
channel and asked for some guidance/input from others [5].  Note as the log
continues there were violation discoveries on top of the fact that we don't
usually do proprietary libs in OpenStack. I reached out to a few NetApp
folks on the Cinder channel in IRC but was unable to get any real response
other than "I can't really talk about that", so I attempted to revert the
library patch myself.  This however proved to be difficult due to the high
volume of changes that have merged since the original patch landed.

I took it upon myself to attempt to fix the merge conflicts myself, however
this proved to be a rather large task, and frankly I am not familiar enough
with the NetApp code to be making such a large change and "hoping" that I
got it correct.  I again stated this via IRC to a number of people.  After
spending well over an hour working on merge conflicts in the NetApp code,
and having the only response form NetApp developers be "I can't say
anything about that", I then decided that the alternative was to propose
removal of the NetApp drivers altogether which I proposed here [7].

It seems that there are folks that have taken quite a bit of offense to
this, and are more than mildly upset with me.  To them I apologize if this
upset you.  I will say however that given the same situation and timing, I
would do the same thing again.  I'm a bit offended that there are
accusations that I'm intentionally doing something against NetApp (or any
Vendor here).  I won't even dignify the comments by responding, I'll just
let my contributions and involvement in the community speak for itself.

The good news is that as of this morning a NetApp developer has in fact
worked on the revert patch and fixed the merge conflicts (which I've now
spent a fair amount of time this afternoon reviewing), and as soon as that
merges I will propose a backport to stable/liberty.

Thanks,
John

[1]: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/227427/
[2]: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/227524/