[openstack-dev] [all] -1 due to line length violation in commit messages

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Fri Sep 25 19:02:48 UTC 2015

On 2015-09-25 16:15:15 +0000 (+0000), Fox, Kevin M wrote:
> Another option... why are we wasting time on something that a
> computer can handle? Why not just let the line length be infinite
> in the commit message and have gerrit wrap it to <insert random
> number here> length lines on merge?

The commit message content (including whitespace/formatting) is part
of the data fed into the hash algorithm to generate the commit
identifier. If Gerrit changed the commit message at upload, that
would alter the Git SHA compared to your local copy of the same
commit. This quickly goes down a Git madness rabbit hole (not the
least of which is that it would completely break signed commits).
--
Jeremy Stanley