[openstack-dev] Compute API (Was Re: [nova][cinder] how to handle AZ bug 1496235?)

Andrew Laski andrew at lascii.com
Fri Sep 25 14:12:55 UTC 2015

On 09/24/15 at 03:13pm, James Penick wrote:

>> At risk of getting too offtopic I think there's an alternate solution to
>> doing this in Nova or on the client side.  I think we're missing some sort
>> of OpenStack API and service that can handle this.  Nova is a low level
>> infrastructure API and service, it is not designed to handle these
>> orchestrations.  I haven't checked in on Heat in a while but perhaps this
>> is a role that it could fill.
>>
>> I think that too many people consider Nova to be *the* OpenStack API when
>> considering instances/volumes/networking/images and that's not something I
>> would like to see continue.  Or at the very least I would like to see a
>> split between the orchestration/proxy pieces and the "manage my
>> VM/container/baremetal" bits
>

>(new thread)
> You've hit on one of my biggest issues right now: As far as many deployers
>and consumers are concerned (and definitely what I tell my users within
>Yahoo): The value of an OpenStack value-stream (compute, network, storage)
>is to provide a single consistent API for abstracting and managing those
>infrastructure resources.
>
> Take networking: I can manage Firewalls, switches, IP selection, SDN, etc
>through Neutron. But for compute, If I want VM I go through Nova, for
>Baremetal I can -mostly- go through Nova, and for containers I would talk
>to Magnum or use something like the nova docker driver.
>
> This means that, by default, Nova -is- the closest thing to a top level
>abstraction layer for compute. But if that is explicitly against Nova's
>charter, and Nova isn't going to be the top level abstraction for all
>things Compute, then something else needs to fill that space. When that
>happens, all things common to compute provisioning should come out of Nova
>and move into that new API. Availability zones, Quota, etc.

I do think Nova is the top level abstraction layer for compute.  My
issue is when Nova is asked to manage other resources.  There's no API
call to tell Cinder "create a volume and attach it to this instance, and
create that instance if it doesn't exist."  And I'm not sure why the
reverse isn't true.

I want Nova to be the absolute best API for managing compute resources.
It's when someone is managing compute and volumes and networks together
that I don't feel that Nova is the best place for that.  Most
importantly right now it seems that not everyone is on the same page on
this and I think it would be beneficial to come together and figure out
what sort of workloads the Nova API is intending to provide.