[openstack-dev] Compute API (Was Re: [nova][cinder] how to handle AZ bug 1496235?)

James Penick jpenick at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 22:13:03 UTC 2015

> At risk of getting too offtopic I think there's an alternate solution to
> doing this in Nova or on the client side.  I think we're missing some sort
> of OpenStack API and service that can handle this.  Nova is a low level
> infrastructure API and service, it is not designed to handle these
> orchestrations.  I haven't checked in on Heat in a while but perhaps this
> is a role that it could fill.
>
> I think that too many people consider Nova to be *the* OpenStack API when
> considering instances/volumes/networking/images and that's not something I
> would like to see continue.  Or at the very least I would like to see a
> split between the orchestration/proxy pieces and the "manage my
> VM/container/baremetal" bits

(new thread)
 You've hit on one of my biggest issues right now: As far as many deployers
and consumers are concerned (and definitely what I tell my users within
Yahoo): The value of an OpenStack value-stream (compute, network, storage)
is to provide a single consistent API for abstracting and managing those
infrastructure resources.

 Take networking: I can manage Firewalls, switches, IP selection, SDN, etc
through Neutron. But for compute, If I want VM I go through Nova, for
Baremetal I can -mostly- go through Nova, and for containers I would talk
to Magnum or use something like the nova docker driver.

 This means that, by default, Nova -is- the closest thing to a top level
abstraction layer for compute. But if that is explicitly against Nova's
charter, and Nova isn't going to be the top level abstraction for all
things Compute, then something else needs to fill that space. When that
happens, all things common to compute provisioning should come out of Nova
and move into that new API. Availability zones, Quota, etc.

-James