[openstack-dev] [glance][nova] how to upgrade from v1 to v2?

melanie witt melwittt at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 21:17:29 UTC 2015

Hi All,

I have been looking and haven't yet located documentation about how to upgrade from glance v1 to glance v2.

From what I understand, images and snapshots created with v1 can't be listed/accessed through the v2 api. Are there instructions about how to migrate images and snapshots from v1 to v2? Are there other incompatibilities between v1 and v2?

I'm asking because I have read that glance v1 isn't defcore compliant and so we need all projects to move to v2, but the incompatibility from v1 to v2 is preventing that in nova. Is there anything else preventing v2 adoption? Could we move to glance v2 if there's a migration path from v1 to v2 that operators can run through before upgrading to a version that uses v2 as the default?

Thanks,
-melanie (irc: melwitt)