[openstack-dev] [puppet] use zuul-cloner when running rspec

Alex Schultz aschultz at mirantis.com
Thu Sep 24 18:19:26 UTC 2015

On Thu, Sep 24, 2015 at 11:54 AM, Emilien Macchi <emilien at redhat.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>> file of each module.
>>>
>>> * the file is not consistent across all modules
>>> * it hardcodes module names & versions
>>> * this way does not allow to use "Depend-On" feature, that would allow
>>> to test cross-modules patches
>>>
>>> Proposal
>>> ========
>>>
>>> * Like we do in beaker & integration jobs, use zuul-cloner to clone
>>> modules in our CI jobs.
>>> * Use r10k to prepare fixtures modules.
>>> * Use Puppetfile hosted by openstack/puppet-openstack-integration
>>>
>>> In that way:
>>> * we will have modules name + versions testing consistency across all
>>> modules
>>> * the same Puppetfile would be used by unit/beaker/integration testing.
>>> * the patch that pass tests on your laptop would pass tests in upstream CI
>>> * if you don't have zuul-cloner on your laptop, don't worry it will use
>>> git clone. Though you won't have Depends-On feature working on your
>>> laptop (technically not possible).
>>> * Though your patch will support Depends-On in OpenStack Infra for unit
>>> tests. If you submit a patch in puppet-openstacklib that drop something
>>> wrong, you can send a patch in puppet-nova that will test it, and unit
>>> tests will fail.
>>>
>>> Drawbacks
>>> =========
>>> * cloning from .fixtures.yaml takes ~ 10 seconds
>>> * using r10k + zuul-clone takes ~50 seconds (more modules to clone).
>>>
>>> I think 40 seconds is something accept regarding the benefit.
>>>

>> As someone who consumes these modules downstream and has our own CI
>> setup to run the rspec items, this ties it too closely to the
>> openstack infrastructure. If we replace the .fixtures.yml with
>> zuul-cloner, it assumes I always want the openstack version of the
>> modules. This is not necessarily true. I like being able to replace
>> items within fixtures.yml when doing dev work. For example If i want
>> to test upgrading another module not related to openstack, like
>> inifile, how does that work with the proposed solution?  This is also
>> moving away from general puppet module conventions for testing. My
>> preference would be that this be a different task and we have both
>> .fixtures.yml (for general use/development) and the zuul method of
>> cloning (for CI).  You have to also think about this from a consumer
>> standpoint and this is adding an external dependency on the OpenStack
>> infrastructure for anyone trying to run rspec or trying to consume the
>> published versions from the forge.  Would I be able to run these tests
>> in an offline mode with this change? With the .fixures.yml it's a
>> minor edit to switch to local versions. Is the same true for the
>> zuul-cloner version?
>
> What you did before:
> * Edit .fixtures.yaml and put the version you like.
>
> What you would do this the current proposal:
> * Edit openstack/puppet-openstack-integration/Puppetfile and put the

So I have to edit a file in another module to test changes in
puppet-neutron, puppet-nova, etc? With the zuul-cloner version, for
local testing what does that workflow look like?

> What you're suggesting has a huge downside:
> People will still use fixtures by default and not test what is actually
> tested by our CI.
> A few people will know about the specific Rake task so a few people will
> test exactly what upstream does. That will cause frustration to the most
> of people who will see tests failing in our CI and not on their laptop.
> I'm not sure we want that.

You're right that the specific rake task may not be ideal. But that
was one option, another option could be use fixtures first then
replace with zuul-cloner provided versions but provide me the ability
to turn of the zuul cloner part? I'm just saying as it is today, this
change adds more complexity and hard ties into the OpenStack
infrastructure with non-trival work arounds. I would love to solve the
Depends-On issue, but I don't think that should include a deviation
from generally accepted testing practices of puppet modules.

> I think more than most of people that run tests on their laptops want to
> see them passing in upstream CI.
> The few people that want to trick versions & modules, will have to run
> Rake, trick the Puppetfile and run Rake again. It's not a big deal and
> I'm sure this few people can deal with that.

So for me the zuul-cloner task seems more of a CI specific job that
solves the Depends-On issues we currently have. Much like the beaker
and acceptance tests that's not something I run locally. I usually run
the local rspec tests first before shipping off to CI to see how that
plays out but I would manage the .fixtures.yml if necessary to test
cross module dependancies.  I don't expect to replicate an entire CI
environment setup on my laptop for testing.  The rspec tests for me,
represent a quick way to test fixes before shipping off to CI for more
testing.

Going back to the background item from the original email, the
.fixtures.yml shouldn't be identical for all modules. It should only
be the modules required to test the specific module. I doubt all of
the puppet OpenStack modules require each other, right? So that's not
a problem, that's an expectation. Additionally, we should be managing
these anyway so when we publish the modules to the forge, it has
proper metadata indicating the dependancies.

This change seems targeted towards solving OpenStack CI environmental
setup issues, and not really improving individual module development
from a regular puppet standpoint.